Although I’m now currently 37 weeks pregnant, I haven’t updated you on how my 36 week scan and consultants appointment went.
So I figured I should be doing that first, as it seems that these next few weeks could lead anywhere and it’ll be hard to update you on all the crazy happenings without letting you know what’s been going on.
As you know I’ve had gestational diabetes in this pregnancy, which has brought up a whole host of issues.
So I was due to have my final scan last week and have a meeting with my diabetes team to come up with a birth plan on when and how to deliver the baby.
However on having the scan, the baby was in the breech position meaning she’s feet down and not head down.
Because of my previous caesarean I wouldn’t be allowed to consider a natural delivery because of the risk factor. It also means they can’t manipulate her to turn because of the increased chance of rupturing (I wish they’d use another word- rupture just sounds grim).
Although I wrote a post where I deliberated my birth plan and didn’t know which camp I sat in, I was actually really upset to hear that my chances of even trying for a natural delivery were out of the window.
My sister recently had her second baby and her birth sounded so lovely. It was a natural birth with a good dose of the epidural from around 2cm. She lives in Dubai so is under private health care so she was able to demand the epidural from the beginning. 8 hours later she had my beautiful little nephew and although she got a second degree tear it didn’t hinder her at all. She was up and about pretty much straight away.
All I could think of was how much more difficult life post birth would be if I had another caesarean. And of course having to have those little stinging blood clot injections for a couple of weeks after… for some reason the idea of having them again just upsets me. They look small but crikey do they sting and bruise!
Just when I’d be getting rid of my diabetes needles, I’ll be given new ones. Typical.
However, because second babies can take a bit longer to turn my team have given me one more week to see if she’ll make her way head down. The only reason they’re giving me this time is because I’m booked in for another scan this week due to other issues that popped up.
If she hasn’t turned by tomorrow then I’m being booked in for an elective section irrelevant. And I’m petrified.
The other issue the scan showed was that ‘baby sister’s’ tummy size has shrunk dramatically since the last scan.
Where she was happily following the 50th percentile line (a chart which pin points your baby’s growth compared to 100 other babies), she has suddenly dropped to the 5th percentile line. Which is a significant drop and a worrying one especially with the gestational diabetes because it indicates that my placenta is possibly starting to fail.
Obviously if my placenta fails then the baby will be starved of nutrients and oxygen. So it’s a very tentative and worrying situation and making sure I feel her moving is more important now than ever.
It’s funny, because everyone assumes with gestational diabetes all baby’s are born big. But in my case ‘baby sister’ is weighing a lot less than she should at this gestation. She’s currently estimated to be 5lb 4oz (at 36 weeks + 4 days).
Quite a shock to me, because my son was born at 8lb 14oz, so I only bought clothes for 0-3 months thinking she’d be similar.
I avoided getting smaller clothes because he never got any wear out of them, so we’ve had to do a mad dash to get a couple of small-sized rompers, although they’re for babies up to 7lb 5oz, so they’ll probably still swamp her.
Because my team are worried about the massive drop in her tummy size, they have sent me off bi-weekly for fetal monitoring to make sure the baby is happy until my next scan.
I’ve been in twice this week obviously and both times she’s seemed happy but my bump size when measured is measuring small- not surprising really. It tends to be between 32-34 weeks. And seeing as I’m now 37 weeks it isn’t quite on target.
I don’t feel small though. I do feel quite large, and my stomach is starting to show the strain.
I’m not sure what tomorrow’s appointment after my scan will bring. Obviously if she hasn’t turned which she hadn’t at yesterday’s monitoring then it’s an elective caesarean. But when that will happen I have no idea. I know they originally wanted it around the 39 week mark but if they’re significantly worried about her growth the section will probably be imminent.
I think if I do manage to get to 39 weeks I’ll probably have to continue with constant monitoring until the set date just to make sure she’s not in any danger or under any stress. And at any of those appointments I have to be prepared to go into theatre straight away if she is showing signs of distress.
On top of all that another frustrating thing that’s happened is that I managed to get all the way to 36 weeks from 24 weeks keeping my gestational diabetes under control with just my diet. But they ended up putting me on metformin once a day post breakfast because I’m unable to eat a proper amount of food at breakfast time without my blood sugar levels rising over their limits.
In my case two pieces of burgen toast and peanut butter is too much for my system to handle. Depressing isn’t it? Cutting back to one piece of toast just isn’t feasible if I don’t want to starve, and it’s even more important with the baby measuring small that I don’t cut back too much.
I’ve also developed a really horrible cough courtesy of my toddler. To the point the nurse at my GP’s tested my blood because my chest sounds horrible. But as it stands she can’t give me anything for it including antibiotics because everything contains sugar and the antibiotics would currently have no effect on this cough unless I start to develop a fever or green phlegm… joy.
Annoyingly there’s not much I can do at home either but just wait for the cough to clear by itself. Drinking lemon and honey would send my sugar levels through the roof and any other cough medication or lozenges suitable for pregnant women would do the same. So I’m relying solely on just Vicks to get me through.
I just hope I can get rid of this cough before I possibly end up having a section because that is not what I need post surgery.
A tough week, but we’ll know more tomorrow and hopefully things will look up.